Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Journey Beyond: On to What's Next

My mom used to tell me, "Laree, you have plantation hair". I thought that was sad and funny at the same time. As difficult as my hair was to keep on my head and to manage, I was convinced that it was special and was beautiful. 
I had my last relaxer 7 years ago. Like every natural I've been through a lot of ups and downs and some self discovery with my hair. In 2010 I was fed up with the hair charade. I was tired of weaves; tired of pressing and flat ironing every week.  I didn't want anymore burns behind my ears and  tattered ends. Most of all, I was tired of forcing my kinky hair to conform to being bone straight. I was amazed with my hair when it was soaking wet, it had the prettiest curl formation. I thought, "If only I could get my hair to stay like this when it dries" (vs. drying into steel wool that would break the strongest comb and matting to my head. As my mom said- Plantation hair) from April to August 2010 I achieved my goal of maintaining moisture and defining my curls . As a bonus my hair grew past my shoulders.
So, why am I blogging now? Glad you asked. I want to break the barriers my hair has faced and go beyond the conceptions I've had about myself and my hair. My goal now is to grow my hair to my shoulders when it is in its shrunken state. I'm not so much concerned about how long it will be when in is straightened because straight hair is not my goal, but I guess it would be at bra strap level when straight. To see info on my hair type and current length see my post, Starting Point.
I have two YouTube heroes, Mae @ Nikkimae2003 and especially Kim Love @ Kimmaytube. I've never entertained the thought that my hair can grow to a length like waist level! My discovery hasn't been confined to my hair. I'be been more concerned with my over all wellness. I'm simultaneously journeying to chemical free, sustainable, locally produced and DIY hair products, body products, foods and whatever else I may discover.I'm not an Eco fanatic, but I do have a lot of piratical thoughts and feelings about this. Maybe I'll lay it out in another post.
If maybe you're like me, a natural wondering what's next with her hair, I invite you to join me on my journey. 


With love,
-Laree

No comments:

Post a Comment